Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Fine Art of the Family Photo



Ah, the joy of taking a picture with all of our children and achieving the ultimate victory of No Photoshop Required. Just kidding. There's no such thing as No Photoshop Required when you have four kids who absolutely loathe having their picture taken. As a result, I have almost no pictures of all four kids together and only one picture of all six of us together. Even that one required the mad Photoshop skills of friends who are photographers. (Thank you, Jimmy Fulcher and Heidi Schardine.) Here it is. The lighting is still poor, but all the kids look happy and calm. What a great facade.


Here we are pre-Photoshop. Clearly my friends are miracle workers.



Still, I persist in my quest for perfect family pictures to add to this slim collection at every photo op our life presents. The result has been a collection of pictures that make me laugh till I pee whenever I look at them. Let's face it. It doesn't take much for a mom of four to pee when she laughs. Maybe it would be funnier if my pictures cause someone who didn't carry four watermelons in five years to laugh until she pees. Please update me if such a feat is accomplished simply by viewing our photos.

Today we celebrated Lawson's 5th birthday six weeks late with a very small gathering of his classmates. We walked away without one picture we could use in a frame or photo book, but the rejects are totally worth sifting through. My friend Lori served as photographer, and she deleted a couple of gems before I explained how I love the duds just as much as the perfect pictures. Without further delay, here is a collection of high quality Jones family photos past and present for your viewing pleasure.

Scout is so happy to be taking a picture with her family.

Awful.
Easter 2011 Train Wreck
My personal favorite.
Christmas 2010
I must have that green hat!
Wait! Just a few more shots, guys!
Actually, I take back what I said earlier about only having one gem of a family photo. This last one is absolutely precious to me. It was the first picture I ever took of my our kids as four instead of three.

My beautiful babies. Scout was thirteen days old.

Pictures are priceless, and the collection I have is so important to me because it's completely representative of real life. A life full of tantrums, laughs, inappropriate comments and gestures, and loads of desperate attempts by Mom to just get one shot that I feel Grandma will cherish forever. I know they hate it now, but one day I hope they can look back and be thankful I was so annoyingly persistent.

5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that I have been a part of the "picture" of happiness in your life. These are great and thanks for the belly laugh. Tyler is sitting right next to me laughing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell Tyler to laugh till he pees so that I can claim victory! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! New follower here. I'd love a follow back at sugarplumsandlollipops.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, LOVE crying awkward family photos. Stepford pics are a dime a dozen. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your babies are gorgeous!! Love the pics!!

    Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete