Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Lessons I've Learned From Hudson

When I checked into the hospital five years ago today to have an induction with Hudson (because he was projected to be even larger than his nine pound big brother if I went to 40 weeks), I felt smugly excited. I had done this before just fifteen months earlier. I was an experienced mommy, not some anxious first-time mom terrified of what the birth process would be like.

Much like I anticipated, having Hudson was fairly easy (naming him was a totally different story, but I'll save that for another blog). The induction took only eight hours from start to finish. But when Hudson made his appearance and was placed in my arms, my smug confidence fizzled. Wait--wasn't he supposed to look just like his brother? Because Camden's countenance was all I really had to go on, I was taken aback to see an olive-toned face staring at me and a shocking head full of black hair capping off his features. In that moment I learned a crucial lesson that all parents with more than one child should learn. No two children are ever just alike--not physically, not intellectually, and not emotionally.

Learning to appreciate my children for their individual personalities has been a learning process. Inexperience initially made the adventure stressful as I compared Hudson's quiet, observant nature with Camden's outgoing, gregarious disposition. I had to let go of comparisons in order to let Hudson come into his own. Now I can see that he's a fascinating little work of art. I'm always delighted when he lets me have a glimpse into his world. He's a very spiritual little guy who feels so much and chooses to confide his feelings in his very lucky parents. He's sweet and sensitive, but he has an unexpected wit just like his daddy. He's also very bright and analytical but in the past has struggled with confidence and making friends. I've sometimes worried more over him than his brothers because I so hoped he could find friends he felt as much himself around as he does with Camden and Lawson.

In our move to Savannah, I have watched him blossom. He has many friends at school and bursts with confidence and typical five-year-old boy silliness when he's interacting with his peers. I love watching him grow and learn, especially now that I am a mother of four little individuals. In my experience, I can truly appreciate each one of my children and adjust in small ways to accommodate their needs and quirks. I thank God every day for each of them and for that first year as a mom of only two when God guided me in recognizing every kid deserves to navigate this world in his or her own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment