Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A glimpse into the mind of a six-year-old boy

I've decided Camden's mating ritual when he gets a little older will be a combination of silliness and slapstick comedy. He really likes his friend Alli, but he's quick to tell you it's only as a friend. On the playground today, I saw that boy go to some great lengths to elicit a giggle from her. First came faux tripping over stumps, which only incensed me. I'm sure there's nothing more embarrassing for a six-year-old peacock spreading his feathers than his mama threatening to make him do his own laundry if he doesn't quit falling down. I later watched him propel himself off a zipline platform into a pole and then heard the second hand story from Alli's mom on how he chest-planted from a leap off the top of the slide.

In his defense Alli is a catch. She can burp like a trucker, a feat that is most impressive to my little dude. My closest friends and family know how much I appreciate a good belch (much to my husband's chagrin), so Alli won my heart the first time she opened her mouth to display her phenomenal talent. I did have to avoid the "mom stare" from my friend Barb--who happens to be Alli's mom--when my high five was interpreted as a way to encourage bad manners, so I had to stifle a giggle each time she burped after that. I think Camden knows he better bring his A game with Alli, and he was trying to work some magic this afternoon. Hopefully I won't be my son's mojo killer for the rest of his natural born life, but I so enjoyed being a spectator in his social life this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. So funny. I can see Camden doin the mating "dance" too. I can't wait to meet the newest member of the mommy clan and her brood:)

    ReplyDelete